We need the conviction that there is a better world beyond the horizon, especially in these times of great change during the pandemic. Day-to-day we can contribute to a better world through some simple practices. Make these a regular thing and not only will you create a better world for yourself, you’ll create a better world for those around you as well.
Generate Positivity – There is a Native American wisdom story about a member of the tribe asking the wise one whether goodness or evil will prevail in the world. The wise one replies that we have a two-headed wolf inside us – one is good, and one is evil. The wise one goes on to say that the one that will prevail is the one we “feed” the most. From science, John Hopkins University found that people with a family history of heart disease who also had a positive outlook were one-third less likely to have a heart attack or other cardiovascular event within five to 25 years than those with a more negative outlook. To generate positivity:
- Set limits on your consumption of the 24-hour news cycle.
- Regularly read and tell positive stories of hope and resilience.
- Listen to music that feels good and has positive lyrics (start now by listening to this month’s song, “Getting Better” by the Beatles).
Be good to yourself – Take an action every day that supports your health and well-being:
- Make time for fun and laughter.
- Connect with the people you love and enjoy.
- Be kind in your self-talk. Acknowledge yourself for any way you contribute to your own well-being and/or the well-being of others, and for any successes in your personal and work life.
Compliment loved ones, friends and strangers – spread positivity through compliments:
- Let a friend know how much you appreciate them.
- Thank the grocery checker, bank teller, postal worker for their service or for some little thing they do that makes a difference to you.
- Tell your mate and/or child what you love and appreciate about them.
Create beauty – beauty calms the nervous system and nourishes the soul:
- Arrange your favorite flowers in a place where you’ll see them everyday
- If you have the space, plant a bee and bird friendly garden
- Set aside time to engage in your favorite artistic hobby
Contribute– each of us has gifts and talents to offer our community that will have an uplifting impact:
- Mentor someone
- Offer time or money to your favorite non-profit
- Do a kindness for a neighbor
Be guided and supported in bridging transition. Learn wisdom and practices that will serve you for the rest of your life. Kick off your next chapter with a free Life Reinspired Strategy Session. Contact me at email@example.com.
Sabrina Roblin, CPCC, a former executive and founder of Life Reinspired, is happily enjoying her best chapter of life. She now helps others do the same.